Payroll FAQs

  • Q: When do I get paid?

    A: The Payroll Department establishes a payroll-processing schedule each year providing employees with scheduled pay dates. All salaries are paid every two weeks with 26 pay periods per year.

    Download and view the Ancillary Pay Rate Schedule for both certified and classified positions.

    Q: Do I receive benefits?

    A: 30 hours or more certified/classified employees are eligible to receive medical, dental, and life insurance paid by the district.

    Eligible employees may elect dependent insurance coverage at the time of the initial enrollment, during open enrollment or when there is a qualifying event. Premiums are paid through payroll deduction.

    Hourly employees with one year of service are eligible to receive district-paid dental coverage and life insurance valued at $5,000.00. Dependents may be added to dental insurance. Premiums are paid through payroll deduction. Hourly employees may also be eligible to purchase short term disability and voluntary term life insurance.

    Q: Are voluntary benefits offered?

    A: Yes. Delta Dental as the optional indemnity plan, Short Term Disability, Voluntary Term Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Accounts, and Tax Shelter Annuities are all available. All premiums are paid through payroll deduction.

    Q: Do I earn vacation time?

    A: Twelve-month, full-time employees earn 80.0 hours per year. After five years of service, they earn 120 hours per year.

    Q: Will I lose my vacation time if I don't use it within the year?

    A: Vacation may be accrued for a maximum of twenty (20) days per fiscal year. You can carry forward twenty days into the new fiscal year. Anything over 20 days will be lost.

    Q: How do I know how much general leave time I have?

    A: Employee leave balances are available on the iVisions portal under Employee Attendance.


    Leave Time Reports

    Absence/Leave Summary Beg Bal Earned Absence Adjust Balance
    ANNUAL LEAVE-9MO EMPLOYEE 72.000 4.8000 0.000 0.000 76.80

    Q: What holidays does the District observe?

    A: District Holiday Observations

    Holidays   Recess Days
    Independence Day Labor Day Thanksgiving Recess
    Veteran's Day Thanksgiving Day Winter Recess
    Christmas Day New Year's Day Spring Recess
    Martin Luther King Day Memorial Day Other Board-Declared
    President's Day    

    Hourly employees receive 3 paid holidays:

    • Thanksgiving Day
    • Christmas Day
    • New Year's Day

    Q: How do I report an absence?

    A: Personal leave time or vacation must be requested and approved 72 hours prior to the absence. The Absences must be posted on the appropriate portal (time clock, iVisions, AESOP) prior to absences and approved by the supervisor. Black out dates require a note submitted to the supervisor and Superintendent prior to days out.

    Q: Why do I have FICA and F.I.C.A. on my check stub?

    A: FICA is the deduction code for your Social Security tax.

    F.I.C.A. is the deduction code for your Medicare tax.

    For more information, please visit:    
    ( )

    Q: Why do I have two retirement lines on my check stub?

    A: “Arizona State Retirement” is the tax-deferred contribution to the ASRS retirement plan.

    “Retirement LTD” is the contribution to the long-term disability program.

    Arizona law requires that public school employees working 20 hours or more per week participate in the Arizona State Retirement plan. The plan is designed to provide you with a source of income to supplement your Social Security benefits and personal savings upon retirement.

    For more information, please visit: 

    Q: How do I sign up for the tax shelter annuity program?

    A: The payroll department has a list of approved Annuity Companies for you to choose from. It is the employee's responsibility to contact an agent and sign the appropriate documents to establish an account with the Annuity Company. A tax shelter annuity form must be signed when an employee changes amounts or to establish new contributions to be deducted.

    Q: How do I pull money from a tax shelter annuity program?

    A: Contact our Third Party Administrator TSA Consulting Group to process request.

    Q: How many deductions are taken for the tax shelter annuity contributions?

    A: Twenty (20) deductions for 9-, 9.5-, 10-, 11 and 11.5-month employees. Twenty-four (24) deductions for 12-month employees.

    Q: How do I sign up for direct deposit?

    A: A Direct Deposit Authorization Form must be completed with a voided check attached. This will ensure the proper routing number and account number is provided.

    All employees are required to sign up for direct deposit. This is a safe and convenient way to ensure that your paycheck is deposited into your checking or savings account through your bank.

    Q: How do I know if my Federal withholding information is correct?

    A: Please visit this site: IRS Withholding Calculator